Wednesday, 13 September 2017

A Portion of the World's Lost Heart

And, at the moment, in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart. ~ Louise Bogan



What is the world's lost heart? This was my first thought when reading this quote. If I as a woman can give back to the world a portion of its lost heart, then surely as a starting point I need to know what it is that defines the world's heart. 

Heavy heart
Heart of gold
Hard hearted
Big hearted

Figuratively the heart is the centre of emotion. It is seen as the wellspring of sympathy, feeling and affection. The heart is also recognised figuratively as the seat of spirit, intuition, courage, joy, and enthusiasm. Is the world's heart then the collective ethos of sympathy, courage, joy and enthusiasm guided by Spirit and intuition? 

As my mind turned over the idea of the world's lost heart, my thoughts wandered on to what I remembered of the HeartMath Institute. The role this organisation has chosen is that of activating the heart of humanity. 

Activating, awakening, re-connecting. Returning...giving back. A portion of the world's lost heart. Yet we cannot give what we do not have, so the work must begin within us. 

Louise Bogan was a poet and in this often repeated quote she was speaking to other poets. However I think many women in many fields - and I am not referring necessarily to what we do to earn an income - could find her own particular way of giving back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart. 


5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...these are very interesting words indeed. For me, the heart is the centre of compassion & I think the world could definitely use a lot more of that ability to actually "be" in someone else's shoes and walk a while. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right. I think a good movie is a great way of helping people connect with their centre of compassion. A good movie take you right inside another's experience.

      Delete
  2. A very thoughtful post, Sherri. I have never heard of Louise Bogan before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I had heard of her before myself. That quote was at the front of a book I opened this week. I found it a powerful message.

      Delete
  3. We can not give, what we do not have.

    So logic says, we must begin, with ourselves. Looking into our selves, and learning to really know and appreciate ourselves.

    Only then, can we turn to our attention, to our own little world, first. And then, perhaps, to the world, beyond our view.

    But let's start at home first. This is my view, that is.

    ReplyDelete